Nikki Yanofsky Aug 11, 2016 0:08:14 GMT -6
Post by eulenspiegel on Aug 11, 2016 0:08:14 GMT -6
I was overwhelmed when I heard her singing "Airmail Special" at age 12. And I have 3 CD's of her. BUT:
- her scatting was a perfect copy, not an improvisation.
- she is not able to improvise, therefore she lacks a fundamential skill necessary for a jazz singer. Look at her poor performance as a member of Quincy Jones "Gumbo All Star Band", singing "Girl from Ipanema" (by the way my first encounter with Emily...)
- Her idol is Aretha Franklin. But she is a belter, she can reach the high notes only if she begins to cry.
- Not only she is a mediocre singer, it seems that she is a bit arrogant: She means that she is a natural born superstar, pefect from the beginning. No need for any further training, education or practising. There is the same humming and crying than 10 years ago.
- She murdered the national anthem. Her rendition of "O Canada" during the opening ceremony of the winter olympics in Vancouver has been really bad. As we say in Germany, "unterirdisch".
Have you really looked at the posts of this thread - I really doubt.Did you see her videos here from France, btw there is another Anthem Performance in this thread. We all don't know how Ella Fitzgerald sounded as a 20year old.
What I have seen so far of her - one of her main problems that she is not a little bit arrogant. She is the well- raised, nice to all people, well-educated young woman who misses a bit of assertiveness. When I saw her performance at the dancing show I was shocked. They nearly hid her - perhaps it was "Marty McFlys" mother - the actress who did not wanted that Nikki Yanofsky would outperform her with her voice.
Emily and her mother! have much more assertiveness - thats very important!
Ideacity uploaded on youtube